Thursday, January 10, 2008

He gots the Apnea...

Since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2007 (or was it 2006), its been interesting to hear from others about their experiences.

I was prescribed the CPAP machine, or as my wife calls it, my snufleupagous (like Big Bird's imaginary friend on Sesame Street). It certainly has made a big improvement for me - like, not stop breathing during sleep 60 times an hour.

My wife used to kick the bed to stop me snoring. She really loves me - she told me to hold my breath until I stopped snoring, but that really didn't help the situation.

I resorted to sleeping in other rooms, much to the dismay of my children, who were fearful of the night monster who made loud snoring noises at night...

I never heard myself snoring, but I've been told that several small animals are missing and presumed dead due to the noise - "all were gone, even the mouse..."

I always tell my story to others who are going down the same road I did...
- 2 sleep studies,
- the wonderful wired medusa look, complete with heart monitors and sensors all over the body.

Trying to explain the shaved areas legs was a little tough, especially the neighborhood kids... Trying to convince them that I didn't do this all the time was even harder - I still don't think they believe me...

I feel much better now since using the CPAP - so do my wife, the neighbors, small animals, the next county over, etc.

No comments: